Users, Roles and Permissions
Now that you understand how Torque works, it's time to understand how roles and permissions work, and invite other members of your team to your Torque account and spaces.
In this article:
Roles in Torque
As Account Admin, you can invite users to your Torque account and add them to spaces, while Space Admins can only add existing Torque users to the spaces they administer.
There are two account-level roles: Account Admins and Account Members. Account Admins have full administrative permissions across the entire account and all spaces. Account Members also have a space role assigned to them for each space, which determines their permissions in that space. As such, the same user can have different roles in different spaces.
As such, there are 4 roles in Torque:
- Account Admin has full permissions in all Torque spacesspaces, and can access the Adminstration area, which is not accessible to space admins. The account admin is responsible for setting up Torque for the first time, general supervision and ongoing maintenance. This includes account-level responsibilities, like inviting users to the Torque account, creating spaces, and adding cloud account and Kubernetes compute services, general supervision and ongoing maintenance, and must be able to operate as a space administrator.
- Space Admin has admin access to specific space(s). This user performs space-level administration, like managing the space's users and their roles, linking the bluperint repository, managing the space policies and tags, and viewing cost data.
- Space Developer tracks the space's usage and cost. As such, this user also manages the tags that are attached to each cloud resource luanched as part of the space's environmnents.
- Space Member is the end-user of the environment. This user browses the blueprint catalog and launches the environment they need. Typical examples of a space member include a developer who is tasked with creating the blueprint, and a QA specialist who needs to run validation tests before pushing the updates to production.
|Permission||Description||Account admin||Space admin||Space developer||Space member|
|Manage account||1. Config audit log target.|
2. Delete the account.
3. View account usage and cost.
|Manage agents||Install new Torque agents (requires K8s cluster or Vcenter access), delete agents, edit agents properties.|
|Manage cloud accounts for cost collection||Add/remove cloud accounts for Torque to collect environment cost from.|
|Manage spaces||1. Create/delete/rename spaces.|
2. Associate/remove agents to/from spaces.
|Manage users||Invite users to Torque, cancel users invitations, add users to space, change users roles.|
|Manage account parameters||Create/update/delete names and values of parameters, which are available across the account.|
|Manage credentials||Create/update/delete credentials to cloud accounts, which can later be used for infra provisioning, cost or actions.|
|Manage account tags||Create custom tags definitions to be applied across the account.|
|Manage policies||Create/update/delete policies to control security and cost across the account.|
|Manage space notifications||Create/delete/modify target for Torque notifications for space events.|
|Manage space tags||Set space specific values to Tags defined by the account admin for the "space" scope.|
|Manage space parameters||Create/update/delete names and values of parameters which are available across the space.|
|Customize space color and icon|
|Publish blueprints||Add/remove blueprints from the catalog.|
|Manage space repositories||1. Add/remove git repositories containing Torque blueprints or IaC assets to a space.|
2. Run discovery on the repositories to find and add assets to Torque (as autogenerated blueprints).
|Manage space users and roles||Add Torque users to a space and set their role in the space.|
|Manage space blueprints||1. Modify the contents of a blueprint that resides in Torque (not in source control) or delete it.|
2. Edit blueprint metadata (lables, icons).
|Manage blueprint tags||Set blueprint-specific values for tags defined by the account admin for the "blueprint" scope.|
|Force terminate environment||Terminate a blueprint that failed normal termination while ignoring previous errors.|
|View agents||View the list of Torque agents connected to an account.|
|View space users||View the list of users in a space.|
|View space repositories||View the list of repositories in a space.|
|View space notifications||View the list of notification targets and configuration of a space.|
|View account tags||View the list of tags in the account.|
|View account parameters||View the list of parameters in the account.|
|View space cost dashboard||View the cost dashboard of a space.|
|Update Grains (Iac Assets)||Update the IaC code to a different version.|
|View Catalog||View the list of published blueprints in the blueprint catalog.|
|Launch environments||Provision an environment from a blueprint.|
|Extend environments||Extend the duration of an environment.|
|Terminate environments||End the environment before the scheduled end time.|
|Manage environment drift||View the diff between the plan (blueprint) and the reality (resources in the cloud) and revert the cloud status to the plan.|
|Run API calls||Use Torque's REST API to perform different operations (based on permissions).|
|View environment cost data||View expected cost of the environment at launch time and the actual cost of an environment on the environment page.|
Invite Users to Torque
Torque role: Account admin
- Open the Administration page.
- Select Users.
- Click the Invite User button.
- Enter a user's email address and press the [ENTER] key. Repeat to add additional users.
- Select the space settings to apply to the users. For details about each role's permissions, see the Roles tab in the Administration page.
- Click Send Invitation. The users will get a "Welcome to Torque" invitation email, prompting them to login to the space. Once they log in, they will be granted the space role and permissions you specified.
Add Existing Users to Your Space
Torque role: Account admin, space admin
- In the suitable Torque space, select Settings from the left menu.
- Click the Users tab.
- Click the Add Users button.
- Select the Torque user you wish to add to this space. Repeat to add additional users.
- Click Done. By default, new users are assigned the Space Member role.
- Change the roles as needed.